Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Let's talk landscaping.

So I've done my work for the day and am awaiting a meeting, why not post another little bit about my house?

I had a tree removed from my front yard. Take a look at the picture of the house in the title photo. That's a picture of the house before the tree was removed; it was the tall pine on the left side (if you're looking at the front of the house, which you are) and it was deadern' a doornail. With each passing storm this spring, I held my breath in the hopes that it wouldn't come crashing down onto my roof or worse, my neighbor's roof.
Here's a picture of the yard sans pine:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I'll need to plant something to replace it, but in the meantime I'm revelling in the sense of grown-uppedness and responsibility I've gleaned from this experience. I was going to go the cheap route and hire Rufo who offered to cut down my tree, trim my oak of its overloaded branches, trim my pecan of ITS overloaded branches as well, and cut the saplings off my crepe myrtles and redbud trees, all for $900. It was a good deal; a really good deal. But, he wasn't bonded or insured and wasn't interested in grinding the stump which I desperately needed, and after talking to my boyfriend Brent about the whole endeavor decided to get another estimate. He really helped me understand the difference between taking a risk on the cheap stuff and ensuring quality with the real deal and I'm so very pleased with the results. Plus, I've now got some great pine mulch:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Just in case anyone's interested, I wound up using Jeff Castro, of Castro's Tree Service. He was fantastic and his crew did a great job. I highly recommend him. Just an FYI.

Did you know that both pine and cedar are natural insect repellants? I learned that this weekend.


No comments: