Monday, June 18, 2007

How 'bout some art?

After a long, relaxing weekend it's time to get back to the grind. I thought I'd share some of the artwork I've hung in my house, with a little story or explanation behind each one. Each one of course has some kind of sentimental attachment to it and I'm sure I'll get just a little emotional just blogging about them...

Regardless, here we go. I thought I'd start with one of my favorites. It's a painting my dad painted in 1976, titled "Project 'J' - #1". My theory (which has not been confirmed) is that my dad painted this for my mom who was pregnant at the time with me. It's such a lovely, balanced painting and was painted when my dad was still a professional artist.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
He liked to work in acrylics, so this painting is acrylic on canvas with a wooden frame he constructed. It's in my living room at the moment, and is the first piece of art you see when you come through the door. It's a great welcome.

Moving on, the following is the first artwork I ever purchased. I was in college in my freshman year. The final project we were assigned for our drawing class involved creating a series of "drawings" using whatever medium we felt like using. Ketchup, coffee, graphite, whatever. I bought this series from my classmate Alcuin Gersch for...maybe $100? I can't remember now. There were originally five pieces but the professor liked them so much that he kept one. The neat thing about these pieces is that they're constructed with glue and sheet metal sandwiched by plexi. Over time and as the humidity and temperature change, the metal rusts a little more. It's like the pieces are alive:
They're currently hanging in my hallway which is not ideally where I'd like them but because they're rather small (about 9"x9"), it's hard to find a place for them.

The next two pieces are from the gallery in Lahaina, Hawaii in which I worked. The first piece was a reward for selling the most of this particular artist's work in one month. The artist, Vjekoslav Nemesh, was a very very nice man with a very, very nice wife. I forget the title of this painting but he was all about inner peace and spirituality. I'm not usually one for that kind of stuff but he was just so nice and sincere that I had to embrace it. He signed the back of the canvas and personalized it. Many more people than I would have expected have commented on this painting, and my brother has asked me several times if he can have it (the answer's no).
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The other painting from the same gallery was a going-away gift. I'd admired the artist's work quite a bit and was pleased when the gift was presented to me. Beyond liking the painting, it's a reminder of how I will never again work in an art gallery. I was a terrible salesperson and enjoyed meeting and talking to the patrons much much more than selling the art. Blech. But I do like the painting. And the frame is constructed of Koa wood, a wood native to Hawaii.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The following is a silk embroidery. My great-grandfather on my father's side was a silk-stitch embroiderer by trade, and was one of the last to practice his particular technique. My parents have several of his embroideries and I've always expressed such interest in them so as a Christmas gift two years ago, my dad had this piece mounted and framed for me. It was the last piece he was working on before he passed away and is unfinished. I think it's just beautiful and is a craft I would love to learn; I'm sorry I never got the chance to know him and have him teach me.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I'll finish up with two pieces of my own meaning I made them. I was a textile design major in college which allowed me to weave incredibly complex fabrics. These two shawls were pieces from my Senior Project; the focus of my project was the idea of light and reflection, particularly in reference to the body. This was the first piece I completed in the series:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
It's woven with rayon and merino wool. The nice shrinking, rippling effect happened after I washed and dried the fabric, essentially felting the wool but leaving the rayon in its original state.

The second piece I wove for my mom. She loves blue, and I chose to use raw silk and merino wool again. I think my inspiration at the time was reflections on water but I'd have to check my notes.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thus ends part one of the artwork in my house. Maybe if I feel like it I'll do another entry at some point with the rest...

**Cheers and props to the very handsome and very talented Brent Mitchell for taking the photos for this post.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

No comments: